#HuntFishTravel Ep 196 – Fishing Costa Rica with Lisa Montgomery of Luxurious Fishing Vacations
Costa Rica is on my radar, lots of family and friends have visited the destination for vacation and fishing trips. Lisa stops by to chat about her favorite topic – fishing!
Costa Rica has become an inexpensive tourist hotspot, it’s safe, is eco-friendly, the government is very stable, they take US dollars, the accommodations and food are top notch, and the fishing is out of this world. I personal think the Tourism Bureau has done a top-notch job getting the word out.
Lisa provides fishing trip for a VERY reasonable cost depending on what experience you’re looking for.
She explains how depending on the budget, she can accommodate you. She provides trips on the pacific side, because the fishing is better and the pirates are scarce. Yes I said pirates!
Notes of Interest:
- Southwest now services Costa Rica
- US currency is accepted
- Tips are included in the check
- The country has 4 species of monkeys, 11 species of big cats and tons of birds, so there are lots of natural resources to enjoy.
- Fishing License costs $13.00 and is generally included in the charter fee.
- Decide which species you want to fish before you plan your trip.
- Summer (aka not rainy season): December-March is when you should go to catch the Marlin, Mahi Mahi etc.
- Winter (aka rainy season): May-November is when you should go to catch rooster fish, pompano etc. Good for whale watching, birthing happens and the moms teach the babies and the cost is lower so great for family vacations
- Inshore Fishing: Grouper, Snapper, Snook, Rooster Fish, jack, pompano
- Inshore is advantageous because the rain washes all the nutrients down out of the mountains. And the storms create rough water so you want to stay closer to shore.
- Offshore Fishing: Blue and Black Marlin, Wahoo, Tuna, Sailfish
Subscribe to the show – and don’t forget to leave a 5 star review!